Thursday, October 19, 2006

"Corporate Communication Trainer"

Sunday, Dubai's first day of the work week, I began my much-anticipated venture back into the working world (shamefully, it has been nearly a year since I have had a job) with my first day at DEPA United, a large interior design company in Deira. I got this job because Noor's father is the CEO of DEPA, and they needed someone to come in and help their 100+ corporate employees with communication and English training. Finally, a job that requires my organizational communication degree...never thought I would see the day! My first day saw me in a suit (again, never thought I'd see the day...) and giving a two-hour class to ten zany Filipino secretaries...it was great fun, but a tiring day at the office, especially considering I have yet to shake the jetlag. Needless to say, I fell asleep on the couch that night, all the lights on, around 9:00 pm.

Monday afternoon was a bit different because my class consisted of the finance department. I was nervous about a "tough crowd" of all Arabs, but they were all very receptive and friendly, not too mention quite optimistic that the communication training would solve some of their problems at work. The rest of the week at DEPA went pretty much the same and without a hitch...However, I have quickly realized that I have a whole lot on my plate. Many of the DEPA employees are quite unhappy, especially as the company is growing with several recent acquisitions (making the total employee count at nearly 600!). What I thought was going to be a simple job of English training looks like might be more of a complete communication overhaul.

On another note, by Monday I had mastered the insane commute to work, figuring out what lanes to stay in and which to avoid! I will be a pro at this driving in Dubai thing soon enough...Daytona 500, here I come!

I am really enjoying my DEPA "side job." I initially came to Dubai to only teach yoga, but I could not pass down this opportunity to make a little extra cash. However, I love it, and am starting to worry that I might like it even more than teaching yoga! I am also concerned about what becomes of me once the studio opens next week. We have gone over the yoga schedule, and as I am the only instructor right now, I will be teaching around six classes a day, six days a week...add the ten hours a week at DEPA, plus the calculated twenty hours a week in traffic...do the math. That's about 66 hours...not to mention the fact that my first yoga class each day is at 7:00 am, and my last class is at 8:00 pm. When am I going to eat? shop? go to the bathroom? have a social life??? Oh, yeah...on Fridays (the holy day in the UAE). I know it is going to be rough, and I know that after a year I will definitely give up one of these jobs...but which one will it be??

Next blog...RAMADAN!

1 comment:

Erin Kathryn Davis said...

update your blog already!

MUAH!! Man I miss you!